Thursday, March 8, 2012

Malapascua Island Day 2

March 7, 2012
Malapascua Day 2 (Cebu)

After posting the blog of our perfect day yesterday, Jessie and I came back to our room to find a not-so-stellar surprise. As we opened the door to our beautiful seafront cottage, we saw a cockroach scuttle across the floor. I, of course screamed while Jessie was curious to see it as it was one of her first cockroach sightings.

As we made our way through the room, we found another one, which was even bigger than the first. I grabbed a flip flop and was going to kill it, but I just couldn’t. So I gave the shoe to Jessie who tried to hit it, but it scurried away.

By this point, I was near tears because my perfect day had been tainted by not one, but two ugly cockroaches. At least Jessie and I had the security of mosquito netting all around our bed so there wasn’t any possible way for them to crawl on us.

We were both fairly tired, so we went to bed around 9:30pm. Due to the fact that I had gotten so upset about the bugs, I wasn’t able to fall asleep until after 4:30am… it was not a good night for me!

Wednesday morning came way too quickly. Jessie and I got up and went to our new favorite restaurant for breakfast. It’s called Ging Ging’s and the food is tasty and super cheap (perfect combination, except for the flies that buzz around you all the time). We had a delicious breakfast of a potato tortilla (like a potato omelet), a pineapple pancake (absolutely delicious!!) and a traditional Filipino breakfast of rice, and egg and sweet meat (of undecided origin).

After breakfast we went to a local store and bought a big jug of water to last us for the next few days (we’re being careful not to drink the tap water). Then we put on our swimsuits and headed to the beach. Today I put my camera in a special underwater case and we took it into the ocean with us… stay tuned for some exciting pictures!!

Shortly after our swim, we went to a beachfront massage area and we both had an hour long relaxing massage facing the ocean and feeling the breeze on our skin. It was wonderful! The masseurs did full body massages and their hands worked expertly to erase any tension from carrying our heavy suitcases yesterday. I can’t wait to go back again… maybe tomorrow.
Jessie and I had an interesting but tasty lunch today of sizzling pork, rice and a delicious salad of tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. It was very refreshing. I also ordered a mango smoothie and it was to die for… tasted like biting into a mango. So fresh!

At lunch, we met a nice couple. The husband was American but the wife was Filipino. They have lots of experience here, so they gave us some tips on where to head next. We’re thinking about snorkeling with whale sharks in a town nearby Moalboal.

It was back to the beach after lunch and then we laid around on our balcony reading for a while. During that time, a Filipino boy climbed up the palm tree right outside our balcony and was grabbing coconuts. It was amazing to watch his agility and technique of maneuvering up and down the palm tree so gracefully while barefoot. I couldn’t imagine doing it.

Now we’re all showered and are thinking about skipping dinner after our huge lunch. I think the heat here makes me less hungry, but the amount of water I need to drink is insane.

Tomorrow we’re planning on renting snorkeling equipment and swimming out to a nearby island to snorkel with the fish. Exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment