Thursday, March 8, 2012

Last Saturday in Korea

Saturday was my last day in Korea. I woke up in a bit of a frenzy because I still had so much to do with getting my apartment cleaned out and finishing all of my last minute errands. Jessie helped me immensely with cleaning and organizing. By about 11am, we were all finished and transported our luggage over to my dear friend Amanda’s apartment. She graciously volunteered to hold Jessie’s and my extra suitcases while we traveled for two months. On our cruise, we will be returning to Busan, so we’ll pick them up then and have a whole new fresh selection of clothing to choose from.

I went over to Anna’s house to drop a few things off and say goodbye. This was probably the time where I got the most emotional. Anna has been such a huge part of my Korean experience. She really became a close friend and honorary grandmother. Luckily I got her email and address, so I am hoping that we can keep in touch for many years to come. Anna was so thoughtful and bought me a book called “Knowing God” and gave Jessie and I an orange for the flight… so sweet. For a person who is not rich material wealth, Anna is abundant in love and kindness. I will remember her forever.

We finally headed off to the downtown area to finalize some errands. Returning Jessie’s temporary cell phone was a bit of a chaotic experience, but with the help of a Korean friend, we were able to make it all work out. Jessie and I then had a delicious lunch with Amy, Amanda and Ginger. Although my final meal was not spent savoring the flavors of kimchi, I was definitely able to appreciate the wonderful company around me, over a pile of nachos, and remind myself of how blessed I was to meet such awesome people.

The last few hours before our plane departed were spent with Amanda at her apartment. Although it was an emotional time, I was happy to be with her. Actually, I was extremely tired, so I drifted off for a quick nap… sorry Amanda! The final goodbyes were bittersweet. Sad that this would be the last time I would live in Korea, but happy that we would meet up in a couple months (conveniently, the day after her birthday… how perfect!)

The subway ride to the airport was a breeze and Jessie and I were checked-in in no time. Thanks to Amanda, who came over the night before and sorted through all the clothes I didn’t need (which was 2 bag fulls), my luggage weighed in at 29.6kg (perfect, because my allowance was 30kg). After checking in we had a nice Korean dinner in the airport and then boarded our flight…. Cebu here we come!!

This is the beginning to our Asian Adventure!

(Jessie would like to input here that hers has been ongoing for two weeks at this point).

No comments:

Post a Comment