Saturday, May 21, 2011

Korean Cooking Class with Jasmin

Today Jasmin came over to help me talk to my landlord about new wallpaper (my walls are growing mould and I think it’s making me sick). She facilitated things very nicely and I now have mould free walls… for the time being.

After making lunch, we went to a well known hairdresser and I received my first Korean haircut… it’s a big deal!

We decided to test out our culinary skills and Jasmin taught me how to make my new favourite Korean dish: Ddak Bokie

*** Ddak are Korean style rice cakes. They are not what we think of rice cakes, it’s more of a dumpling or noodle. In the pictures displayed, the Ddak are the round white things on the plate.

Here’s the recipe for all you Korean wannabe’s at home

Jasmin’s Ddak Bokie:

2 ½ c. water

4 Tbsp. Hot pepper paste

1 tsp. Salt

1 Tbsp. Sugar

5 cloves garlic

Combine these ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer.


½ large carrot, sliced thinly

1- 400g package of Ddak (rinsed)

4-6 sheets of fishcake (cut into small triangles and rinsed)

2 c. chopped green onions

A few hard boiled eggs

Add carrot and Ddak to the sauce and simmer until the sauce becomes more like a paste (about 10 mins). Then add the fishcakes and onions. Finally, add the hard boiled eggs and serve hot.

Alongside our delicious main course, we had pan-fried tofu, a salad made of various sprouts, potato salad and refreshing lemonade… it was quite a feast! And of course, shared with good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment