Thursday, May 19, 2011

Changwon Charity Hike

Sunday May 8th, I headed out to the city of Changwon, which is about an hour away for a Charity hike. The event was organized by a girl named Hayley. Her grandfather passed away last year from MND (Motor Neurone Disease) and so the hike was to raise money for MND.

My friend Diana and I boarded the subway to get to the train station on Sunday morning. As we were climbing the stairs, I was hugely caught off guard when an old man gave me a loud smack on my bottom! I turned around in disbelief and managed to get the words ‘WHAT?!’ out of my mouth. He looked at me with a face that said ‘what are you so surprised for?’. There was a Korean woman who had also seen what had happened and she started yelling at him in Korean. Although I didn’t catch a single word of what she was saying, I’m pretty sure she was scolding him. Nevertheless he carried on his way… crazy old man.

When we finally arrived to Masan, we took a taxi to our meeting place. We then had to re-route and take another taxi because it turns out we were at the wrong meeting place. Once we finally arrived a group of about 30 people were waiting and we set out to hike the mountain.

The hike wasn’t too difficult but it is much more humid here and so I found myself struggling more with the humidity than anything else. There were some beautiful views once we got to the top, but I was happy when we started to descend.

Once we finished the hike, there was a fabulous BBQ waiting for us! Hayley’s boyfriend cooked up a feast of chicken breasts, sausages, grilled veggies, potato salad, devilled eggs etc. It was delicious and tasted so much like home.

The day ended with a very snoozy bus ride back to Busan.

No comments:

Post a Comment