Thursday, May 19, 2011

Busan Tower

This past weekend I went to Nampodong with Jasmin. It’s an area of town about 30mins away from where I live. It’s a big shopping/entertainment district and there are always lots of fun things to do there.

Our main reason for going was to see the busan tower and to look for baking supplies but we stumbled across many fun things.

I took some pictures of the typical food stands one would find here. The lady in the polka dotted apron is standing in front of one of my new favourite things: ddakboki. It’s a spicy red sauce over rice cakes with eggs and fish cakes… sounds a little weird, but tastes delicious!

We went to a well known restaurant and had cold noodle soup for lunch. I thought this would be a little odd, but Jasmin spoke highly of it, so I decided to give it a try… also very good. The noodles were made of buckwheat and the broth was light and slightly sweet… it had shaved pork and pears in it as well. It was really nice and refreshing for the hot day.

After lunch we went up to the Busan Tower. It was a very eye opening experience for me because I could finally see how populated Korea was. I was shocked when I saw numerous buildings stacked on top of one another. There’s almost no grass and trees, just tons and tons of concrete.

I can definitely tell that there’s a large population here walking on the streets but seeing what the cityscape looks like from above was really interesting.

I also discovered that this is where the cruise ship port is, so when Jessie and I come back on our cruise, we’ll be able to tour around here!

Unfortunately the baking supplies store was closed so I’ll have to wait to buy my vanilla and muffin tins but we were able to browse through little shops and markets.

One thing that’s so nice about having such a large population is that there are endless things to do in the city. Every corner you turn, there is something new to discover. I feel like I could live here for a decade and still not see half of the neat things this country has to offer…. Don’t worry, I won’t!

1 comment:

  1. Please, can you give me directions to go at the bakery store Or name, or phone number.???

    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete