Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tongmyong University and Temple

On Thursday, Jasmin and I went to her university called Tongmyong University. She is finishing up her last class there and then will be graduated. Her father also works at the school so I was able to meet him as well.

Jasmin gave me a tour of the University and it is very different from the University of Waterloo. It is much smaller but has beautiful grounds with manicured gardens, many fountains and beautiful seating areas. In the entrance to the university, there are statues standing for the zodiac calendar. My ‘animal’ is the rabbit or hare so of course I had to stand with it…

Very close to the university is a beautiful temple. I hadn’t seen a temple yet so I asked Jasmin if we could go to it and look around. She was very willing and informed me that her grandfather had built this particular temple (wow!). Her grandfather was actually from North Korea but came to South Korea before the war broke out in the 50s and luckily met Jasmin’s grandmother here and settled down in Busan. Both of Jasmin’s grandparents have passed away but on their birthday’s her parents cook a big meal and bring it to the temple and place it under their pictures. It is a tribute to them and a way to show their respect.

The temple was beautiful; so immaculate and detailed! There were people praying in the largest room so I could not take a picture but some of the areas were empty so I was able to get some good shots. Next month is Buddha’s birthday so there are men who are working at the temple to prepare for the event… apparently it’s a huge event.

During the past few days the weather has gotten very warm and many of the trees are beginning to bloom. It’s so beautiful and inviting to walk down the street. I wish many of you were here to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment