Friday, April 22, 2011

A disappointing weekend

The weekend of April 16-17th was something I had been looking forward to for quite some time. I had booked a weekend biking trip to a town about an hour and a half away. This town (Gyeongju) was famous for the beautiful Cherry Blossoms at this time of year. It was a group of about 150 foreigners from all over South Korea that were getting together to see the sights… I was pumped!

Well, Friday night rolled around and I found myself suffering with a very sore throat and cough. Later that night I was so congested that I couldn’t even lay in bed… it was horrible! I came to the conclusion that this was not the time for me to travel. I mean, I probably could have survived and maybe would even enjoy some of the trip but then the following week I’d be dying at work. Knowing that it’s bad to call in sick to work when you’ve just started a job, I decided that the responsible thing to do was to try to ‘rest up’.

Dorrial was still able to go on the trip without me, but I spent the weekend feeling very sorry for myself. On Saturday morning I decided that I was at the point where I needed some drugs so I went to the hospital. The only thing open was the emergency room, but I didn’t feel like paying emergency medical prices so I went to the pharmacy instead. I was surprised to find that medication here is extremely cheap (like 2 bucks for a pack of pills). At least one perk!

Looking on the bright side, all was not lost that weekend… I was able to catch up on my online TV, read a book and I contacted the organizer of the trip and he refunded me most of my money. There will be other weekends to take a trip out and explore Gyeongju.

No comments:

Post a Comment