Sunday, April 22, 2012

Apr 18- Pattaya, Thailand



Wednesday was a great day for Jessie and I.  The ship was docked in Thailand and most of the passengers were heading to Bangkok for the day.  The ride to Bangkok would be about 2 ½ hours depending on traffic.  The idea of sitting on a bus for 5 hours didn’t exactly appeal to us and since we’d already been there for 5 days, it wasn’t necessary. 

Instead of taking a tour into Bangkok, Jessie and I decided to hop onto a complimentary shuttle and go to the city of Pattaya for the day.  This was only about a 25 minute journey and was an opportunity to stretch our legs after being on the ship for 3 (wonderful and relaxing) days. 

Upon the shuttle, we were given a map and a guide told us that today was a very special day for the Thai people.  We learned that today was their New Years day and they celebrate by throwing and spraying water throughout the streets.  We were warned that we’d get very wet.  Jessie and I were both very excited about this because we had been told about it during our time traveling previously in Thailand, and we’d been sad that we would miss it…. What a lucky day!  Many of the old senior citizens sitting around us were anything but happy about this special day. 

When we arrived in Pattaya, Jessie and I quickly mailed some letters that we’d neglected to do for about a month and then set off exploring.  As soon as we got down to the main road we experienced our first taste of Thai New Year.  People were standing around with buckets of water and water guns, spraying everything within reach.  Jessie and I welcomed the shower because it was unbearably hot out and this served as a nice refreshment. 

We think that the water symbolizes a type of cleansing and starts the New Year off fresh for the people of Thailand.  It’s a great idea especially considering the climate.  And it seems like it really brings a sense of unity and cohesiveness to the citizens, while they’re all out drenching each other. 

Throughout the afternoon we did a bit of shopping and bought a few final souviners, as this would be our last time in Thailand.  We also had a fantastic new experience: Fish Spa!  Jessie and I found a little spa that consisted of several tanks filled with fish.  For less than $5, we were able to sit for 25 minutes and let the fish nibble away at all of the dead skin on our feet and toes.  I’m sure this sounds a little ridiculous but these spas have been all over Asia and we’ve wanted to try them, so this seemed to be a great opportunity to do so. 

I had heard that it can be quite ticklish but I had no idea how unbearable it was until I tried it.  Imagine 200 fish sucking on every inch of flesh on your feet… it tickles beyond belief!  Jessie and I both sat in our tanks squirming and giggling uncontrollably until eventually I had to take my feet out… I couldn’t handle it. 

The owner was very nice and tried to convince me to put my feet back in but it just wasn’t a feeling I was too fond of.  Jessie toughed it out and kept hers in for almost the whole length of time.  All in all, I was glad that I finally experienced the fish spa but it’s not something I’ll be craving to do again. 

A little while later we took the shuttle back to the ship, where we attended a Thai traditional performance.  The show was spectacular and combined dancing with traditional music to illustrate Thailand’s history and culture.  The performers did a great job and Jessie and I were thoroughly entertained. At the very end of the show, the dancers rounded up some of the audience to join them on the stage and try out some traditional thai moves. Jessie and I were called upon and we had fun as our guide on stage tried to make us replicate more and more difficult moves.   



No comments:

Post a Comment