Thursday, June 9, 2011

Another Staff Dinner

Friday night was the scheduled staff dinner. We went to a Chinese restaurant very close to the school and enjoyed delicious food and drinks.

Shortly after the meal, my boss decided to have a small drinking game. Two people were selected as ‘representatives’ from both locations (the elementary school and the middle school). The goal was to drink the whole glass of beer while trying to swallow the least number of times. The winner got 60 bucks cash while the loser’s team had to down their glasses.

Well, unfortunately my team lost. Not only did we have to drink the beer, but we also had to eat a piece of rotting, fermented, stinky fish. This is apparently a Korean thing to eat, but even all of the Koreans complained about the smell and taste of the fish. When it was my turn to down the fish I didn’t think I would be able to do it.


The smell was unimaginable and it was difficult to chew which meant that I couldn’t just swallow and be done with it. I heaved quite a number of times and thought that I might bring up my dinner, but eventually I got it down… the awful taste lingered well into the night.


I don’t think North Americans are as competitive as Koreans…. it’s always an eventful night at the staff dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment