Saturday, June 2, 2012

May 4—Busan, South Korea




Friday was a special day because it was my last trip to Busan (possibly forever).  Jessie and I woke up early, ate breakfast and then began to haul out tons of luggage.

Our plan was to mail some of our excess goods and clothing home with the hopes that our luggage won’t be too overweight at the airport returning home.  Unfortunately, with two girls shopping here and there over a period of 3 months, a lot of stuff can be accumulated. 

We left our room with 2 backpacks, 2 duffle bags, and one large shopping bag full of stuff.  One of the room stewards noticed all of our baggage and came out very concerned asking what was wrong and where we were going.  When we explained our situation to him, he just laughed. 

We boarded the complimentary shuttle with all of our baggage and got many strange looks from fellow passengers, but soon we were dropped off in the city centre and made our way to the post office.  I was so pleasantly surprised by the service we received in the post office.  The woman helping us spoke just a few words of English but went out of her way to help Jessie and I pack quickly and efficiently.  We sent over 20kg of stuff home and it came to about $50… not bad I think!

After successfully getting rid of our excess stuff, our bags were much lighter and Jessie and I made our way to a PC Bang (Internet Café) where we called home and chatted with our dad for a while.  It was a nice conversation, but we had to cut it short because I had plans to meet my friend Amanda.

Amanda was one of my best friends while living in Busan.  She’s renewed her contract, so she’s there for another year, but I’ll miss her dearly.  We met up in the city centre and then walked around for a bit.  She had to work in the afternoon, but we had time for lunch.  We went to a small Korean restaurant and ordered a delicious stew with chicken, potatoes, rice noodles and onions.  It was a great last meal.

We also surprised Amanda with a box full of goodies we took from the ship;  lamb kabobs, steak salad, assorted cheeses, tomato and mozzarella salad, cookies, cake.  I know how difficult it is living somewhere without food that tastes like home… I thought that this might brighten up her day.  I’m sure it did.

After a delicious day, Amanda headed to work and Jessie and I walked back to the city centre.  We walked aorudn the cultural steps area and listend to a live band play for a while.  They were very good.

Later on, we had another phone call home.  It was nice to talk to the family because we don’t communicate much on the ship (the internet is ridiculously expensive).  I told them about my fantastic plan to have our annual cousin camp on a cruise ship… I think it’s going to catch on.

Jessie and I spent the afternoon wandering around NampoDong area.   We checked out the fish market, went on a wine hunt at local convenience stores, and found Jessie her last Kimbap.  She was thrilled with it and we took photos to document the monumental last Kimbap (they’ve become her favorite). If you don’t know, it’s like a sushi roll except there’s no fish, only egg, carrot, mushroom, spam and radish.

After a while of wandering, we got on the shuttle and went back to the ship.  I felt a bit of sadness at leaving this place, but I’m happy to be moving forward in life and slowly making my way back home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment