Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving and Baby Shower






Saturday was the day that a bunch of friends and I got together to celebrate American Thanksgiving. Amanda and I had been planning this for several weeks and had developed quite the elaborate menu for our event: glazed carrots, tossed green beans, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, croissants and Rotisserie Chicken from Costco (because nobody had ovens capable of fitting a turkey). For dessert, Amanda was kind enough to make pumpkin pie FROM SCRATCH!!! And we had an apple pie from Costco. The meal was made perfect with the addition of delicious wine… it was honestly be best meal I’ve had in the past nine months!


Before we all began to eat, I decided it was appropriate to say grace and give thanks for all that we have here. Of course, I was nominated


to proceed, and as I was praying about being




thankful for my ‘korean family’ I realized how lucky I really was. I can’t believe being here in Korea without the wonderful people in my life… they have made a world of difference and I consider myself so lucky to have them.



After WAY too much food, I rolled myself home and took a long nap (as is thanksgiving tradition). I got up a little bit later and decided it was time to go to the gym to start working off all of this thanksgiving goodness. I met up with Amy and we pushed ourselves on the machines and then relaxed at the naked spa (this is becoming one of my favorite things to do). Needless to say, my Saturday night was very uneventful yet relaxing.

Sunday was a much busier day. I got up early and went to church with Amy. Afterwards we headed over to KSU in search of baby goodies. Today was the day that our friend Sora was having her baby shower and we wanted to put together a nice gift for her before heading over for the shower.


Seeing as I’ve never kept an eye out for baby stores in Korea, this event posed to be quite a challenge, but I have to admit it was fun putting together a bag full of baby things. I was quite pleased once we had everything in order.

When we arrived at Sora’s, both her and her husband were there with a full out decorated apartment. (They’re the couple who got married earlier this year, and they had a beautiful traditional wedding… also quite an event!). Sora’s husband Nicholas is French and he made delicious food for the shower… crepes, Yorkshire puddings, pate…. So much yummy food!



As guests arrived, we were all asked to put holiday streamers around our necks to give it more of a festive feel. We were also given a French name for a baby item (which would serve as our name for the night). Mine was La Couche with means diaper.


The evening was filled with lots of baby games, good food and making new friends. It was great!

Later, we went back to KSU to meet our friend Dorrial, who was celebrating her last night here in Korea. Dorrial was playing ultimate Frisbee so we went to play a bit and cheer her on. I can honestly say that I’ve improved my Frisbee throwing skills… now it actually goes in the direction I’m aiming for. Afterwards we went out for a nice dinner and said our goodbyes. Dorrial has been in Korea since I’ve arrived, so it was sad to see her go. She will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment